The City of Casa Grande is in the process of adopting the 2018 International Code Council (ICC) “family” of codes and the 2017 National Electric Code produced by the National Fire Protection Association. If approved by the City Council, we expect the 2018 codes to be in effect July 1, 2019. The proposed implementation process for existing construction permit applications and new applications is as follows:
- The new codes take effect July 1, 2019. The changes apply to applications submitted on or after July 1, 2019. It does not affect permits for projects already submitted, in review, or under construction.
- The City of Casa Grande will accept applications for projects designed to the 2018 codes prior to July 1, 2019, if the applicant chooses to use the new codes and the current local amendments.
- Standard plans approved under the 2012 code may be updated to the 2018 codes at any time if the home builder identifies the changes necessary to comply with the 2018 codes.
- Custom home plans submitted on or after July 1, 2019, will need to comply with the 2018 codes. The differences between the 2012 and 2018 codes are minor and should not impose a delay.
- Commercial projects currently under design using the 2012 codes that cannot be submitted prior to July 1, 2019, may file a code modification (no fee) to submit the project for approval using the 2012 code. This will be allowed for projects submitted up to 90 days after the effective date of the new codes. This will prevent submittal delays and increased costs due to re-designing for the 2018 code.
- Permits approved under the 2012 codes that expire (no work within 180 days after issuance) will need to be updated to the 2018 codes prior to being renewed if they expire on or after July 1, 2019
- Codes proposed for adoption:
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC)
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
Please direct any questions to Brian Tardif, Chief Building Official at Brian_Tardif@casagrandeaz.gov