Traveling Garbage Gallery Art Program
The City of Casa Grande Public Works Department, Sanitation Division, is seeking artists for the Traveling Garbage Gallery Art Program, a public art project to transform collection vehicles into roving works of art. These heavy-duty machines offer nearly 32 square feet of “canvas,” and artists shall leverage both truck sides in their work. Additional trucks will be added in the future until the fleet is covered. The proposed artworks selected for the Traveling Garbage Gallery Art Program will honor an anti-littering campaign and will highlight the importance of keeping CasaGrande clean and beautiful while adding a bit of flair to neighborhoods. In selecting the artists who will participate, the Sanitation Division will prioritize proposed designs that encourage residents and visitors to keep our city clean.
You may choose a slogan from the categories below to inspire your work:
Public Works has identified five garbage trucks, or 10 canvases to be wrapped in public art. Successful proposals will foster community pride, educate the public, and inspire others not to litter. When designing artwork, artists should recognize the importance of keeping CasaGrande clean and beautiful and inspire others to make a positive impact on the environment. Artwork must be in good taste.
- Truck canvas dimensions: 8ft (w) x 4ft (h)
CRITERIA FOR DESIGN AND ARTWORK FORMAT
- Designs must include both sides of the truck.
- Design must reflect positivity.
- No offensive designs, or designs that contain advertising, religious art, sexual or illegal drug content, negative imagery, or convey political partisanship.
- Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, copyrights, trademarks, brands, or images of illegal activity.
- Must not defame or invade the rights of any person, living or dead.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17TH
- Local Casa Grande residents are encouraged to apply.
- Artist proposals must include the following:
- A brief artist bio
- A written description
- A finalized design in vectorized digital format
- Selected artists will be awarded $100.00.
- Selected artists will be required to sign a public art agreement through the City of CasaGrande, and be held subject to all requirements, deadlines, and restrictions.
- The trucks will be unveiled at a media event led by the City of Casa Grande and will be on display for the public before they are assigned to routes.
- Selected artists must provide a final digital image at a quality level and format specified by the printing vendor and be in a horizontal format.
- Artwork should have bright, bold colors.
Designs are to be submitted as vectorized files and will be printed on a vinyl wrap which will be adhered to the sides of the garbage truck. The city will contract with an appropriate vendor to ensure that the design is digitally applied to a high-quality vinyl product. The vendor will then apply the vinyl to the garbage truck, using a process like applying graphic vinyl to a vehicle.
*Timeline is subject to change.
Your artwork will be visible! The Public Works Sanitation Division covers 341 miles of streets and 39 miles of alleys, collects over 44,152 tons of trash, and services more than 21,000 residential accounts across the city.
For more information, please contact: