Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
- The CARES Act waives the waiting time for unemployment approval and extends coverage for an additional 13 weeks, so Arizonans would be eligible for 39 total weeks.
- A new temporary unemployment insurance program will be available for gig workers, the self-employed, and independent contractors who normally do not qualify for unemployment benefits.
- For those receiving unemployment insurance between now and July 31, 2020, an extra $600 in unemployment insurance benefits will be automatically available. An Arizonan who qualifies for the maximum unemployment insurance benefit of $240 would be able to receive an unemployment insurance benefit of $840/week ($240 + $600) until July 31, 2020.
- This $600 benefit will be taxable (like all unemployment benefits), but it will be disregarded in determining Medicaid or CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) eligibility.
People will apply through the state, through the existing unemployment insurance process through the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES).
To apply, and for FAQs directly from AZ DES, click HERE.
Have you applied and been denied?
The state of Arizona is currently reviewing thousands of denied applications to ensure they were evaluated correctly under new federal guidelines outlined within the CARES Act. An article on this reevaluation from the Arizona Republic,HERE.
According to AZ DES, “Unemployment Insurance claimants must file weekly claims to continue to receive benefits (even if your initial claim is still pending, you must file a weekly claim to receive benefits for that week).”
Although the Governor’s Executive Order temporarily suspended the work search requirement for receiving unemployment insurance, the system is designed for a weekly claim “check in”.
UI claimants can file weekly claims at www.azui.com. The online Weekly Claims System is available from 12:01 a.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Friday.
More information about filing weekly claims can be found HERE.
Additional helpful links for you and your family:
- A full explanation of whether or not an individual may be eligible for unemployment insurance in Arizona can be found HERE.
- An FAQ document on new unemployment provisions within the CARES Act can be found, HERE.
- For a list of Arizona employers with immediate openings, click HERE.