Townsite Maps and History Plaques
In 2012 the Casa Grande Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) developed a three phase program to celebrate the State’s Centennial and to create an awareness in the community of Casa Grande’s rich history.
The first project was a bronze plaque with a replica of the Original Townsite Map (recorded July 19, 1890) on a pedestal. This project was dedicated on February 5, 2013, and is located on the southwest corner of 3rd Street and Florence St. The purpose of the plaque and pedestal is to highlight Casa Grande’s historical street history in a public setting for everyone to enjoy.
The second project is a Limited Edition of 250 16” x 20” Original Townsite maps on parchment paper. The sales from these maps are funding the third project (History Plaques). These maps are an outstanding historical keepsake and are being sold at several downtown locations for a $10.00 donation (frame not included):
- Adventures in Stained Glass- 413 N. Florence St.
- Casa Grande Main Street – 210 W. 2nd St.
- International Minute Press – 703 N. Walnut Ave.
- Western Trading Post- 403 N. Florence St.
The third project is History Plaques for downtown buildings. This project was encouraged by comments from public meetings on what items of interest the community would like to see in the downtown. The commission felt keeping the history of our downtown buildings alive would be an excellent preservation educational project.
According to Historic Preservation Commission Chairman, Marge Jantz, who spearheaded the projects, the Casa Grande Dispatch was asked if they would take the lead and order the first plaque. “They eagerly agreed to do so and that plaque will be placed on the Casa Grande Dispatch building at 200 W. 2nd St. which in 1951 was built as the ninth United States Post Office in Casa Grande.”
Two additional history plaques, partially funded by the Townsite Map fund, will be placed on Merle Norman Cosmetics and Day Spa (Sprouse-Reitz Building) and the Western Trading Post (George Y. Wah Complete Market Building).
“These two plaques will deplete our little bucket of money so we are looking forward to the Townsite Maps catching on so we can have donations available to help fund more history plaques for the downtown.” The commission has plans to partner with Main Street on the history plaque project.
The history plaques are a rich brown and bronze in color matching the Original Townsite map plaque.
The Casa Grande Historic Preservation Commission initially developed a History Plaque program in 2001 and subsequently, 28 plaques are on properties that have been placed on the Casa Grande Historic Register and the National Register of Historic Places.