How to Report an Issue

Beginning August 1, the city will be transitioning to a new online system that will include a mobile app. This will provide citizens with a new and improved way to submit service requests, track ticket progress, and submit additional feedback directly to city departments.

During this transition period, residents who wish to report a non-emergency issue should send an email to the specific city department. A list of common issues and related city departments is provided below.

  • Pothole
  • Sidewalk repair
  • Streetlights
  • Street repairs
  • Wastewater and sewers
  • Residential and Commercial Sanitation/Trash Services
  • Landfill Questions
  • Container replacements

  • Graffiti

Report Graffiti issues to Wendy Lloyd at or call the Casa Grande Police Department at (520) 421-8700. If you have any information that would lead to the identification of “taggers” and want to remain anonymous you can call Silent Witness at (520) 836-2100. For other information about the graffiti abatement program please call (520) 421-8711 ext. 6570.

  • Airport Gate Maintenance
  • Airport Hanger Maintenance
  • Airport Landscape Maintenance
  • Airport Landscape/Irrigation
  • Airport Runway Lighting
  • Airport Runway Maintenance
  • Airport Taxiway/Taxilane Maintenance
  • Airport Tie-Down Maintenance
  • Airport T-Shade Maintenance

  • Code violations
  • Abandoned vehicle
  • Illegal dumping

  • Stray animals
  • If you need to report an emergency please call 911

If you have not been contacted within 24 hours of reporting an issue, please leave a message at 520-426-9300.

  • Community Recreation Center
  • Dave White Golf Course
  • Dorothy Powell Senior Center
  • Len Colla Recreation Center
  • Library
  • Palm Island Family Aquatic Park
  • Parks